Grooving to Jazz Rhythms with @dadsdiscdelights
Her submission was a portrait of her dad holding one of his beloved Miles Davis vinyl jazz records, Tutu. Seated in his custom-built music room in their Buckinghamshire cottage, now housing a 70-year-old collection of 10,000 records (he bought his first record in 1942), the photo drew comments from a number of enthusiasts asking questions about the album, history of jazz and the genre’s musicians.
Zoë decided to start a dedicated feed—@dadsdiscdelights—to further share his lifetime passion and knowledge of jazz with Instagram.
"Around my early teen years I discovered that the common thread in most of the music I had been hearing and had liked since a small boy, on radio and on record, was jazz," says Zoë’s dad, who has worked in the music industry most of his life. "I started reading about jazz as much as I could, listening to radio jazz programs and pestering record shops for information. I hope to put before Instagrammers a lifetime jazz lover’s view and opinion, as opposed to some dry, learned observation."
"He was surprised people were engaging in the comments," says Zoë. "Being quite specific and asking questions. It became a forum for hardcore ‘musos’ but also those finding jazz for the first time, as well as people who just like the way we shoot it."
Zoë takes all the photos, and her dad writes the captions after their conversations about which records to feature in what order. Zoë publishes to Instagram, and her dad responds in comments.
"The challenge is to get the essence of a piece of music across in 15 seconds," he says. "Visually of course it’s about attracting the viewer’s attention in the first place, and hopefully they’re drawn in and want to know more."
"For me it’s a way to spend more time with my dad," says Zoë. "I have been trying to find a way to share the huge knowledge in his head. I wanted him to be able to share his love of music."
- supersaiyangoddo likes this
- irishkreegs reblogged this from instagram
- insurgenci reblogged this from instagram
- ednagrace reblogged this from instagram
- iamrodsoley likes this
- nietu likes this
- neoawangarda reblogged this from instagram
- sisi-96 likes this
- second-brother likes this
- kiketorrestakahashi likes this
- papopoesia reblogged this from morningcircles
- zoecaldwell likes this
- radambition reblogged this from andrewjweber
- radambition likes this
- ultraviolet23 likes this
- orionlives reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- shahmeerhaq reblogged this from instagram
- ozehols likes this
- rachelminshull likes this
- stopand-smell-the-roses reblogged this from instagram
- gabbacat reblogged this from instagram
- stopand-smell-the-roses likes this
- the-pushkin likes this
- franconat likes this
- maica1111 likes this
- talkdigital reblogged this from instagram
- tooheymomster likes this
- canzou likes this
- rekakna likes this
- rebeccacanfield likes this
- jazzhangover reblogged this from mocada-museum
- zezy likes this
- china1960 likes this
- astinabilah likes this
- miyako1576 likes this
- v4vosty likes this
- minnu357 likes this
- leinnc likes this
- sehila likes this
- maggieroring reblogged this from instagram
- creativitytwo reblogged this from instagram
- creativitytwo likes this
- mulhammt likes this
- nagio likes this
- 0724keita likes this
- r383lv likes this
- myhipsterplanet reblogged this from instagram
- mikeletare likes this
- edcross likes this